Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Winning the battle

Winning the battle

 

 “FOR THE SINFUL NATURE DESIRES WHAT IS CONTRARY TO THE SPIRIT.” GALATIANS 5:17 NIV


How can we win in the unrelenting battle between our flesh and our Spirit?

  First I acknowledge that there is a battle! my flesh always crave satisfaction in the very things God hates. There's civil war going on because my flesh never takes a holiday.

  I admit that I am powerless to win without God’s help! By consciously submitting to God, I draw on His strength in the first moments of each test. And my ability to do that will grow as I keep practicing this Spiritual discipline. The closer I draw to God, the stronger I become when faced with temptation.

  By deciding that self-discipline is a personal matter! I can depend on no one else to develop it for me. Paul writes, “I run … I box … I discipline my body” (1 Co 9:26-27 AMP). This is something only I can do. If someone else has to restrain me, it doesn’t work!

  I understand that ignoring the consequences invites disaster! Lack of self-discipline will inevitably lead to embarrassment for me, and those I love. So before I indulge, I consider the fallout! In 1 Co 9:27 (NAS), Paul speaks about being ‘disqualified’. What does that mean? It means losing respect in the eyes of others. It means limiting God’s ability to use me for His purposes. It means hurting the cause of Christ in the eyes of a world that’s always watching. When David committed adultery with Bathsheba, Nathan the prophet said to him, “By doing this you have made the enemies of the Lord show utter contempt” (2 Sa 12:14 NIV).

Want to win the battle? It's better to keep these things in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment